[OpenDivX] OpenDivX Encoder -> OpenDivX

Topic:		Sorenson MPEG-4 encoder
Author:		Zed Mister
Posted:		 2001-03-17 00:00
--------
Does anybody know where to find this encoder?  It seems rather
impressive compared to all other implementations of the ISO MPEG-4
standard out there.  It supports:

- Full compliance with the ISO MPEG-4 simple profile codec definition
- Capable of decoding H.263 (short-header MPEG-4)
- Great video quality and high performance
- Automatic scene change detection
- Block refresh for packet loss correction
- Support for two-pass VBR compression
- Compression time packetization for error resiliency to packet loss
- Media key support through secure encryption (available only on
QuickTime)
- Encoders optimized for G4/Altivec, PIII/MMX, PIII/SSE

URL for press release regarding the Sorenson MPEG-4 codec/encoder:
http://www.sorenson.com/corporate/press/20010109.html[ This message was
edited by: Zed Mister on 2001-03-17 00:01 ]

Topic:		feel the need for speed
Author:		Turd_Ferguson
Posted:		 2001-03-17 01:20
--------
so i got my AMD 1000MHz Athlon chewing on a dvd-rip.  it's using Flask
to convert the VOB files to OpenDivX aplha48 720x460 res @ 29.97fps and
128kbps sound.  it is only converting 2.48 FPS! does this sound right?
is there a faster encoder out there?

Topic:		feel the need for speed
Author:		milkman.dan
Posted:		 2001-03-17 02:39
--------
That's why it's an ALPHA....

Topic:
Author:		wdq
Posted:		 2001-03-17 04:01
--------
[ This message was edited by: wdq on 2001-03-17 20:46 ]

Topic:		My wish on encoder setting(No rate control)
Author:		wdq
Posted:		 2001-03-17 04:24
--------
I wish you can give a option in codec which can eliminate bandwidth
feedback but only control encoding by qulity setting(full VBR). For
example someone can set highest quality,normal qualtiy and lowest
quality. And may be highest bandwidth which can override lowest quality
setting to avoid exceed hardware limit.

What I am meaning is no bitrate setting at all. What we want is quality
and final filesize not short time bitrate. We are not expect stream
application. But that does not mean each frames should be encoded at
same quality to give the same feeling. The motion part can use low
quality compress but still give same feeling(unless you view it frame by
frame). So the still scene will get the highest quality. A normal motion
scene will get normal quality and very fast action scene will at least
get a lowest quality.

That method will let people don't need doing multi-pass encoding. But it
will be difficult to determine the final filesize at first. So if
someone want to know which setting will cause which filesize before
encoding, may be he still need running a utility to scan first.

[...]

That link's bad for the press release.. here's the right one:

http://www.sorenson.com/company/press_room/pr_04.html

It says they're about to go into Beta - maybe you can get on the
program.

It's certainly encouraging to see MPEG-4 getting pushed by Sorenson of
all people - rather surprising to seem them push an open standard over
their own proprietary format, and nice to see they've added VBR!

The GPL'd sampeg-4 MPEG-4 encoder (which builds on the impressive
sampeg-2 MPEG-2 encoder) is scene adaptive also.

Hopefully OpenDivX REALLY is standards compliant, and can play MPEG-4
encoded by other standards compliant encoders.