Re: [OpenDivX] using mpeg2 decoding hardware for divx decoding

Am Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2001 13:12 schrieb zap twentyfive:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a software engineer working for Philips semiconductors and currently
> I'm looking into porting parts of divx to Philips Trimedia:
> Both platforms have hardware support for MPEG2 decoding as well as video
> coprocessor units which can do things like filtering and colorspace
> conversion.

Well, the main problem that you will have is a compatibility issue.

OpenDivX in its current state is not compatible to the original DivX ;-)
codec. That is because DivX ;-) is a hacked Microsoft MPEG-4 V3 codec.
And Microsoft has decided to diverge slightly from the ISO MPEG-4 standard
in an undocumented way. That is probably why up to date the OpenDivX
codecwill not decode DivX ;-) movies, but instead uses the "official" ISO
MPEG4 format (it is based on ISO reference software, actually. Has anyone
checked whether this is legal in the first place?)

Sincerely,

 Christian Buchner