[Opendivx] Development proposal

I did a bit of reading recently and realised why encoding divx is so
slow.  The purpose of this post is for people to correct me when I'm
wrong - please feel free to slaughter my idea!

Okay if you 'back up' an DVD you're encoding from YUV-RGB-DIVX.  The
reason you can capture in realtime at good quality with MPEG-4 even
on a low spec is because the process is only RGB-DIVX.  The solution
to encode a dvd in realtime (or faster) is presumbably to rewrite
divx to accept a YUV input, this way the following would be possible:
YUV-DIVX.

By eliminating this stage a lot of time would surely be saved.

Chris