Re: [Opendivx] wavelets

i have very few knowledge about video coding since my proper job is more focused on transport-layer of mpeg standard (the so called mpeg2-TS).
i am not sure if mpeg4 standard talk or not about wavelets, maybe is possible than more then one coding techinique is allowed.
what i know is this:

-wavelet is based on subband coding, the wavelet transform scheme combine transform coding with subband coding

-wavelet is supposed to be very good for I-frame coding (same as jpeg coding) and for low-bitrate videos (12-48kbps) the I-frame coding takes about 40-70% of the bit used in the stream, this means that for very low bitrate you save a lot respect typical dct.

-wavelet is supposed to be more cpu intensive, i checked some article and it seems the coder (on a dsp implementation) has 50% less framerate.

-the problem with video and wavelet-based coding scheme is find a mechanism to exploit the temporal redundancies and here i found 3 proposals:
1) extensions of the 2-D wavelet-based scheme to 3-D subband coding (3-D SBC)
2) use of a multiresolutional motion compensation (MRMC) in the wavelet domain
3) so-called overlapped block motion compensation

now don't ask me details cause i am not in this things at all :(

good references can be found (where i found them, but there are lotsa of article cited there) in this article:
"Very low bit-rate video coding using wavelet-based techniques" by D.Marpe H.Cycon (IEEE Transactions on circuits and system for video technology vol.9 feb 1999)

i will check this wavelet things and mpeg4 and divx code (if i can manage it) and will try to post my 2 cents when i will know more :)

federico
ps: i thought divx was the microsoft hacked mpeg4 encoder btw..:)
http://www.syncprodz.com
------(mp3 since 1997)-------