[Opendivx] The .divx file format

When is work on the new .divx file format going to begin?   I have been
thinking recently
that a new file extension would greatly help the success of the divx
standard.

The first time I downloaded a large (300 MB) divx file, I threw it away
because I could not
play it.  I am sure this happens all the time.  If there had been a diferent
extension, I would
have searched for a player.

I understand that keeping the .avi format lets you use all the existing
windows video software,
but there are some options to deal with this:

    1) Create a program to (mass) convert .avi to .divx and vice versa
without recompression.
        (Maybe throw in .qt as well).  If you needed to edit a divx file in
a non-compatible
        software package, you could convert it, edit it, and convert it
back.

    2) Create a Direct Show .divx splitter.  From what I understand, Divx
currently looks like
        this:

        [File Source] ------- [ AVI Splitter ] ------ [ DivX
Decompressor ] --- [Render Filter]

                                            [Audio Decompressor] ----
 Audio Device ]

        If we replaced the AVI splitter, we would no longer need to use the
AVI file format.  With
        a new splitter in place, it would be trivial to add .divx support to
any DirectShow program.

    3) Convince people to add native .divx support to their programs.
VirtualDub would be
        easy, but big ones like premiere would be hard.

I can see three big advantages of the new format:

    1) People would not think that the file was a broken avi.

    2) If the new file format was designed with streaming in mind, someone
could start an open
        source streaming .divx server.  This could compete against streaming
.WMV .ASF .RM
        and .QT.

    3) No more 2GB file size limit.  :)

--Tom